This post was guest-authored by Spencer Holdaway, a dear friend of mine. When he sent me his thoughts in written form, the feminist in me wanted the whole world to hear them. I settled for publishing them here. Spencer is an active member of the LDS church, a lens that colors part of this post. (Used with permission.)
Ever since I was little, I can recall being attracted to bigger women. If I was speaking to someone like Freud, he might have pointed towards some facts in my family that might suggest that, because of my upbringing and those I was around, I have the attractions that I do. Needless to say, I highly disagree with many of Freud’s claims.
Whatever the case, I find a woman that looks like this:
FAR more attractive than someone like this:
Now, why is that important?
Because the world is under the insane impression that beauty is if you are as thin as a rod, show off a great butt, and all that junk. I like to use Michael Bay’s movies for a prime example of how the world views women and how disgusting that is for someone like me. Bay, and indeed MANY in the movie industry, naturally assume that all straight men are into this sort of woman…so they cast them as the lead’s love interest and make any other girl who might be buff and big a lesbian, a dumb-as-rocks comedic character, or otherwise. They try and make those types of women look comical in some perverted effort to install their own views into the minds of their viewers that THAT is not the kind of woman any sane, straight man or boy would want to date.
That’s where I fall, however. Because I do. I would LOVE to date a girl that’s 6’0”+, that would just be so beautiful and wonderful…not saying that I wouldn’t date anyone shorter! I just feel…perhaps not as comfortable with it? I’m not being picky, it’s just part of who I am now. My eyes naturally fall upon those girls who, quite literally, stand out in the crowd.
Of course, we need to talk about my anxiety and depression for a moment.
My anxiety likes to try and point out a few things to me, they are as follows:
- You’re not attracted to sexy women like Megan Fox or thin models in bikinis? Oh, you must be gay then!
- You’re attracted to women who are large, big, muscular, etc., who could probably bench you? Oh, you’re just secretly a closet homosexual because everything you find really attractive in certain women are only acceptable in men (pixie cuts, sportswomen, women in the armed forces, etc.)
- You are attracted to a woman who could hold you in her arms, that would require you to get on your tip-toes to kiss? You must REALLY like those dominatrix women then, huh? Sicko.
- Is this a “fetish?” Is it not? Some of your friends think it is, some of them think it’s not – What is it then? There is absolutely no clear definition on this either
- You just view women as meat, you sicko.
- What’s the Church’s stance on this kind of attraction? It certainly makes your heart flutter and gets you excited. Sinner.
- You would rather cuddle up in the arms of a big, strong woman like a girl would to their big, buff football boyfriend? Huh. Wonder what that makes you then
- You really do like those girls that have “junk in the trunk”, huh? You pig.
- Why would ANY girl who is taller would want to date you? Don’t you know? Tall girls don’t LIKE shorter boys. Might as well get a cat now and die alone, weirdo.
- Why would you EVER like a girl with arms as big as your chest? That’s disgusting, you’d never fit in with the other guys
- What would your parents and family think if they ever found out? Gee, you’d be an outcast FOR SURE.
- Did I mention freak?
These honestly are some of the things that have come into my mind as my anxiety locks me down.
There are some good things, that I’ve come to find though…thanks to some wonderful friends of mine.
1. There is NO commandment that says: “Thou shalt not like women bigger than you”
2. Are you sinning? NO.
3. Are you a worthy priesthood holder still? YES.
4. Quoted from a friend: “In some ways it makes you more masculine because you are not afraid of girls like that. A lot of guys would feel intimidated by dating stronger girls but you admire it! It also kinda makes you humble because you recognize that you need to be held and that you too need to feel safe in a relationship.”
5. This world is increasingly more understanding than my anxiety wants me to think.
6. The cuddle value of a big woman? Heck yeah, spot on
7. There are FAR weirder things out there to be attracted to, such as dead things and children…I think I’m doing pretty okay if I’m still attracted to women (albeit 6’5” ones…)
8. Who says that ONLY women are entitled to wanting that security that is found in a bigger significant other? Am I not free to want that as well?
Also, if anyone gives us crap? She can TOTALLY beat them up, and I’d be perfectly alright with that ❤
And the end of the day, it’s my choice, isn’t it? Yes, I am attracted to big woman; women who are strong, well-built, tall and even very tall. Is that normal? Eh, not really. But hey…it’s MY vision of beauty, and as the beautiful, wonderful Gwendoline Christie once said:
MORAL OF THIS POST:
I’m worthy, I am not a freak, I am a wonderful guy who just has slightly different taste in women. And ya know what? That is OKAY. So, you have your attractions and tastes…
…and I’ll have mine.